Dr. Ying Jin, a professor (2008~) at the University of Science and Technology, Beijing (USTB), was nominated “Beijing Science and Technology Nova” by Beijing association for science and technology in 2009 and “New Century Excellent Talents” by the Ministry of Education (MOE) in 2010. Since 2007, she has been engaged in the construction of the National Key Science and Technology Infrastructure "Material service safety assessment facility" (MSAF) and the establishment of the National Center for Material Service Safety, China. Presently she is the vice director, deputy chief engineer in charge of MSAF facility construction, international exchange and cooperation, and meanwhile one sub-project leader. In November 2018, her responsible sub-project has successfully passed the acceptance tests organized by the MOE, and the whole MSAF project has also entered the acceptance stage. In 2017, she won the second prize of Beijing Education Teaching Achievement Award (ranked the second).
Before joining the Center, she has worked as visiting research fellow at Okayama University and Osaka Prefecture University, Japan in 2003-2005, technical engineer at Matsushita (brand name: Panasonic) Research and Development (China) Co., Ltd. in 2002-2003, and the research associate and the postdoctoral research fellow at Tohoku University and Toyama University, respectively in 1998-2002.
Prof. Jin graduated with the B.S./Ph.D. degree at USTB in 1993/1998, majored in surface finishing and corrosion electrochemistry. Her research interests focus on multi-scale experimental and modelling studies of aqueous corrosion. For over 20 years, she has devoted herself to researches on key scientific and technical issues such as scale domain and evaluation methodology of metal corrosion. She has presided over more than 10 projects such as National Natural Science Foundation items, national defense research projects, and enterprise commissioned projects. So far, she has published more than 70 journal papers,holding 9 authorized Chinese invention patents.
l Main Projects
- Project 1 : Corrosion fatigue damage evaluation and residual life prediction analysis of steel bridge panel of suspension bridge -- Humen Bridge section of Dongguan-Buddha High-speed, Guangdong Humen Bridge Co., LTD., RMB 0.149 million, 2020.08~2021.02, Project leader (On going)
- Project 2 : Member of innovation group of marine engineering materials and corrosion control, Southern marine science and engineering Guangdong laboratory (Zhuhai), ~1.0 million/year, 2020.01~2022.12, Main participant（On going）
- Project 3 : Research on service safety evaluation technology of urban drainage pipeline, Intelligent manufacturing and robot innovation project, Beijing Science and Technology Commission (Grant No. Z191100008019002), RMB 5.0 million, 2020.01~2021.12, Main participant（On going）
- Project 4 : Study on service safety evaluation of hydrogen doped natural gas pipelines, Applied technology collaborative innovation in energy and materials (Future Science City) project, Beijing Science and Technology Commission (Grant No. Z201100004520011), RMB 2.0 million, 2020.01~2021.12, Main participant（On going）
- Project 5 : Establishing a condition-based maintenance technology for CUI of pipes via modelling and experimental investigations (phase I) (Agreement No. CW255003), Shell Global Solutions International B.V., US$0.23 million, 2019.07~2022.06, Project leader (On going)
- Project 6 : Research on corrosion mechanism and experimental method of metal structures in storage (Grant No. YJY-2019-J110), RMB 1.49 million, 2019.06~2020.06, Project leader (On going)
- Project 7 : National key research and development program__material genome project——High throughput characterization techniques and devices based on synchrotron radiation and advanced neutron sources, the MOST (Project No.2017YFB0701900). RMB 0.95 million for the subtask (of RMB 18.8 million for the whole project), 2017.06~2020.12, Subtask leader on behalf of USTB (On going)
- Project 8 : A subtask named of "Key technology system of dynamic spectrum- electrochemical coupling in situ experiment" in "Engineering Materials Subproject" of the 12th five-year plan National Major Science and Technology Infrastructure Project—"High energy synchrotron radiation light source verification device" (IHEP-HEPSTF-PO-TR-16-002-R2) led by Institute of high energy physics, Chinese academy of sciences. USTB is the co-construction unit, RMB 6.674 million for the subtask (of RMB 320.0 million for the whole project), 2014.03~2019.01, Subtask leader (Concluded)
- Project 9 : Interaction of specific adsorption anions and additives/inhibitors in copper electrodeposition/dissolution, project supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant No. 51271029), RMB 80,000, 2013.01~2016.12, Project leader (Concluded)
l Main Contributions
- Promoted the development of corrosion science by setting up the direct connection between the work function calculated by density functional theory (DFT) and the Volta potential measured by scanning Kelvin probe force microscopy (SKPFM), which successfully bridges the theoretical calculation and experiment in nano-scale, realizing the theoretical prediction of driving force for (micro-)galvanic corrosion among different phases in metal matrix.
- For the first time, the precipitation of corrosion products on metal surface and liquid phase and its influence on the corrosion dynamics was realized by the finite element simulation, taking a leading position in the numerical simulation research field of the corrosion process and made contributions to better revealing the essential mechanism of localized corrosion such as (micro-)galvanic corrosion, pitting corrosion and crevice corrosion.
- Breaking through a series of technical bottlenecks, successfully fulfilled the innovative design and construction of "Test facility for engineering materials under natural atmospheric environment" with leading design concept (flexible and adjustable modular design, experiment-simulation highly integrated) and quality. The test facility can mimic the city, industrial and ocean atmosphere in eastern district of China, as well as the strong ultraviolet and big temperature difference in western plateau environment by combining 6 sorts of environmental factors such as temperature, humidity, solar light, rainfall, salt fog, atmospheric pollutants in the walk-in chamber. The two sections of one big chamber can work separately or integrally to conduct the overall assessment of the large engineering structure or batch assessment of medium/small samples.
- A set of more scientific and accurate methods spanning microscopic - mesoscopic - macroscopic scales for the evaluation and prediction of metal corrosion behavior has been proposed, which from micro- to macro- scale include
(a) a novel high throughput microelectrochemical testing technique was proposed enable us to obtain the electrochemistry of microscale single phase or very localized area;
(b) combining experiment and numerical simulation, the technical bottleneck of predicting corrosion behavior of multiphase coupling system based on single phase electrochemical behavior was broken through;
(c) correlation between component/structure and coupon specimen corrosion behavior was established;
(d) a variety of local corrosion environment detection probes and monitoring system were developed to support condition-based service safety evaluation or maintenance for components/ structures.
1. Bao Chen, Chuan-Hui Zhang*, Ying Jin*, First-principles calculation of interface binding strength and fracture performance of β'/Al interface in Al-Mg-Si-Cu alloy, Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 830 (2020) 154515.
2. Zhaoyang Zhao, Ying Jin*, Peng Shi, Yanpeng Xue, Bingbing Zhao, Yanpeng Zhang, Feifei Huang, Peng Bi, Qingrui Wang, An improved high-throughput data processing based on combinatorial materials chip approach for rapid construction of Fe-Cr-Ni composition-phase map,ACS Combinatorial Science, 21(12) (2019) 833-842.
3. Zhaogui Lai, Peng Bi, Lei Wen, Yanpeng Xue, Ying Jin*, Local electrochemical properties of fusion boundary region in SA508-309L/308Loverlay welded joint, Corrosion Science, V.155 (2019) 75-85.
4. Min Liu, Ying Jin*, Jinshan Pan, Christofer Leygraf*, Co-adsorption of H2O, OH and Cl on aluminum and intermetallic surfaces and its effects on the work function studied by DFT calculations, Molecules,24 (2019) 4284.
5. Min Liu, Ying Jin*, Christofer Leygraf, Jinshan Pan, A DFT-study of Cl ingress into α-Al2O3(0001) and Al(111) and its possible influence on localized corrosion of Al, Journal of the Electrochemical Society, V.166, No.11 (2019) C3124-3130.
6. Tingru Chang, Christofer Leygraf, Inger Odnevall Wallinder, Ying Jin*, Understanding the barrier layer formed via adding BTAH in copper film electrodeposition, Journal of the Electrochemical Society, V.166, No.2 (2019) D10-D20.
7. Litao Yin, Jinshan Pan*, Christofer Leygraf, Ying Jin*, Experimental and Simulation Investigations of Copper Reduction Mechanism with and without Addition of SPS, Journal of the Electrochemical Society, V.165, No.13 (2018) D604-D611.
8. Tingru Chang, Gunilla Herting, Ying Jin*, Christofer Leygraf, Inger Odnevall Wallinder*, The golden alloy Cu5Zn5Al1Sn: patina evolution in chloride-containing atmospheres, Corrosion Science, V.131 (2018) 190-203.
9. Feifei Huang, Ying Jin*, Lei Wen, Zhengwei Wan, Nafion Modification of Thermal-oxidized IrOx Electrode, Journal of the Electrochemical Society, V.165, No.2 (2018), B12-21.
10. Tingru Chang, Inger Odnevall Wallinder, Ying Jin*, Christofer Leygraf*, The golden alloy Cu-5Zn-5Al-1Sn: a multi-analytical surface characterization, Corrosion Science, V.131 (2018) 94-103.
11. Ying Jin*, Zhaogui Lai, Peng Bi, Songtao Yan, Lei Wen, Yongchao Wang, Jinshan Pan, Christofer Leygraf, Combining lithography and capillary techniques for local electrochemical property measurements, Electrochemistry Communications, V.87 (2018) 53-57.
12. Yongchao Wang, Litao Yin, Ying Jin*, Jinshan Pan, Christofer Leygraf, Numerical Simulation of Micro-Galvanic Corrosion in Al Alloys: Steric Hindrance Effect of Corrosion Product, Journal of the Electrochemical Society, V.164 (2017) (14) C1035-C1043.
13. Litao Yin, Ying Jin*, Christofer Leygraf, Jinshan Pan*, Numerical simulation of micro-galvanic corrosion of Al alloys: Effect of chemical factors, Journal of the Electrochemical Society, V.164 (2017) (13) C768-C778.
14. Feifei Huang, Zhengwei Wan, Ying Jin*, Lei Wen, The effects of cyclic isothermal oxidation on Ir/IrOx pH electrode and a method to correct the potential drift of metal oxide electrode, Journal of the Electrochemical Society, V.164 (2017) (13) B632-B640.
15. Ying Jin*, Min Liu, Chuanhui Zhang, Christofer Leygraf, Lei Wen, Jinshan Pan*, First-principle calculations of Volta potential of intermetallic particles in Aluminum alloys and practical implications, Journal of the Electrochemical Society, V.164 (2017) (9) C465-C473.
16. Litao Yin, Ying Jin*, Christofer Leygraf, Nick Birbilis, Jinshan Pan*, Numerical Simulation of Micro-Galvanic Corrosion in Al Alloys: Effect of Geometric Factors, Journal of the Electrochemical Society, V.164 (2017) (2) C75-C84.
17. Tingru Chang, Ying Jin*, Lei Wen, Chensheng Zhang, Christofer Leygraf, Inger Odnevall Wallinder*, Junping Zhang, Synergistic effects of gelatin and convection on copper foil electrodeposition, Electrochimica Acta, V.211 (2016) 245–254.
18. Litao Yin, Ying Jin*, Christofer Leygraf, Jinshan Pan*, A FEM model for investigation of micro-galvanic corrosion of Al alloys and effects of deposition of corrosion products, Electrochimica Acta, V.192 (2016) 310–318.
19. Min Liu, Ying Jin*, Chuanhui Zhang, Christofer Leygraf, Lei Wen, Density-functional theory investigation of Al pitting corrosion in electrolyte containing chloride ions, Applied Surface Science, V.357 (2015) 2028–2038.
20. Feifei Huang, Ying Jin*, Lei Wen, Investigations of the hydration effects on cyclic thermo-oxidized Ir/IrOx electrode, Journal of the Electrochemical Society, V.162, No.12 (2015) B337-B343.
1. Jin Ying, Wen Lei, Huang Feifei, Ren Xuechong, Cui Mengmeng, IrOx pH electrode fabricated by cyclic thermal oxidation, Chinese invention patent: 201210251445.8，Application date: Jul. 19, 2012; Authorized on May 28, 2014
2. Jin Ying, Wen Lei, Cao Zongbao, Ren Xuechong, A device and method for measuring temperature and humidity of solid surface, Chinese invention patent: 201210270507.X, Application date: Jul. 31, 2012. Authorized on Oct. 15, 2014
3. Jin Ying, Wen Lei, Sun Dongbai, Wang Minghui, Cao Zongbao, Sun Fengyan, An environmental adaptability test system and method for engineering components, Chinese invention patent: 201210295536.1, Application date: Aug. 17, 2012. Authorized on Sept. 17, 2014
4. Jin Ying, Wen Lei, Yang Bin, Sun Dongbai, Cao Zongbao, Chen Jie, An environmental adaptability test device based on modular design, Chinese invention patent: 201310395329.8, Application date: Sept. 3, 2013. Authorized on Jan. 22, 2016
5. Jin Ying, Wen Lei, Chang Tingru, Shi Peng, Zhang Chensheng, A method and an experimental apparatus for selecting and optimizing the copper foil electroplating process, Chinese invention patent: 201410479769.6, Application date: Sept. 18, 2014. Authorized on Jun. 06, 2017
6. Shi Peng, Huo Jindong, Wen Lei, Jin Ying, Yan Songtao, Lai Zhaogui, A high throughput characterization apparatus basing on image analysis, Chinese invention patent: 201510583966.7, Application date: Sept. 15, 2015, Authorized on Nov. 28, 2017
7. Jin Ying, Wan Chengwei, Huang Feifei, Yan Songtao, Wen Lei, Shi Peng, A complex pH electrode, monitoring system and method with the function of eliminating potential drift, Chinese invention patent: 201610835511.4, Application date: Sept. 20, 2016. Authorized on Aug. 28, 2018.
8. Jin Ying, Yan Songtao, Wen Lei, Lai Zhaogui, Shi Peng, Sun Dongbai, A high throughput fabrication and characterization apparatus and method for metal surface treatment sample, Chinese invention patent: 201710069646.9, Application date: Feb. 08, 2017. Authorized on Aug. 31, 2018.
9. Jin Ying, Yan Songtao, Wen Lei, Lai Zhaogui, Shi Peng, Sun Dongbai, A high throughput fabrication and characterization apparatus and method for metal foil sample, Chinese invention patent: 201710069647.3, Application date: Feb. 08, 2017. Authorized on Jan. 8, 2019.
10.Jin Ying, Yan Songtao, Lai Zhaogui, Wen Lei, Bi Peng, An electrochemical test method and apparatus basing on the combination of capillary device and an automatic photolithographic-masking technique,Chinese invention patent: 2017111952948, Application date: Nov. 24, 2017. Authorized on Feb. 28, 2020.
11.Jin Ying, Yan Songtao, Lai Zhaogui, Wen Lei, Bi Peng, A high throughput electrochemical test method and apparatus basing on the combination of capillary device and a photolithographic mask technique, Chinese invention patent: 2017111941197, Application date: Nov. 24, 201. Authorized on Apr. 10, 2020.
l Awards and Membership
1. 2009 “Beijing Science and Technology Nova” from Beijing Science and Technology Commission
2. 2010 “New Century Excellent Talents” from the Ministry of Education
3. 2014 USTB Good supervisor and friend of graduate students
4. 2015-2016 Excellent employee of USTB
5. 2017 "Multi-factor cross-scale test facility and technology development for atmospheric corrosion", the second prize of the 12th experimental technology achievement of USTB
6. 2016-2017 Advanced individual in international cooperation and exchange work of USTB
7. 2017 the second prize of Beijing Education Teaching Achievement Award (ranked the second)
8. 2012- Senior member of Chinese Society of Mechanical Engineering
9. 2012-2015 Deputy director of youth working committee of surface engineering branch of Chinese Society of Mechanical Engineering
10. 2017- Deputy secretary-general of Chinese Society for Testing and Materials (CSTM)
11. 2018- Expert in Shenzhen Major Science and Technology Infrastructure Expert Committee